So far, I have three beds of beans that are total failures. I don't know why. So tonight, I am running a simple test. I am checking the germination rate for each type of bean that I have left. I have been growing these heirlooms for years. I got my original seed from Renee Shepherd. I have not seen them offered by anyone in a few years. So I am hoping I just have a hungry mouse or something. Since we discovered this guy today, it seems likely that there is a food source for him. That food source may be eating mine. We noticed something was eating the strawberries too, not necessarily a bird.
So I selected ten beans from each jar. It's easierr to get a percentage of germination that way. If 7 out of 10 sprout, I have a rate of 70 %. There is a white speckled drying bean, a red drying bean called Low's, a Vermont cranberry bean, a yard long bean, and I think a yellow bean.
So I took a napkin or paper towel and laid out ten beans for each type.
Then I folded the paper over the top of the beans and sprayed it with water.
I folded them and stuck them all in their own plastic bags.
In three or four days, I will either have germinating sprouts, ready for planting, or else some rotting beans for the compost pile. Time will tell. Stay tuned.